Topic: That age old question..... Str,dex and int

Those of you that have been with HS for many years, will know exactly where this is going...

The answer to what stats do, has never been fully answered. nor proved.

It's been one of HS's greatest mysteries, alongside "Blitz voodoo" it's just the way it is, and we've all delt with it.

Now, I'm not rally sure I should solve this mystery, hence why I've not looked into it.

However, I can prove the following.

Some of you may be dissapointed, and we will see what we can do to rectify that...

So here goes.......

INT

Increaes skill chance gain.
Increases max psi (3 points).
Increases psi regen.

DEX

Decreases mobs chance to hit.
Reduces damage from mobs.
Increases precise hit rate (max damage from weapon).
Reduces "Your XXX has been damaged".

STR

Increases max crew (4 points).

Like I said, bit of a dissapointment for some I guess?

Suapz

2 (edited by Orion 2011-08-09 10:13:24)

Re: That age old question..... Str,dex and int

Interesting, you would perhaps think that 'increases precise hit rate (max damage from weapon)', would be covered bt STR and not Dex.

Ori

"Together we stand..... Divided we fall ! "

'Hey you'- Pink Floyd

Thank you for making it a bit more clear what stat point may do smile
I remember back in the days, nobody seemed to know the exact effects neither, and actually maybe its fine this way.
At least it seems like DEX is a good idea for a Smug, and INT is good for psi-classes. smile

Riftah

I thought STR increases crit chance/and or offense? Every smuggler and his dog stacked STR for added crit chance/and or offense

Maybe things were/are different in alpha but from my testing in beta/2.0:

INT never increased psi regen , only max psi.

STR increases hull - 1 str = 1 hull (this is also true now).
      Increased chance to interrupt casts/maneuvers (mainly useful in pvp)

DEX - "Reduces damage from mobs." - I dont remember if I tested this in beta or 2.0 but increased defense primarily reduced the chance to be hit, not damage taken. I can't find my original testing notes but if it reduced damage taken it was not a significant amount.

6 (edited by DeathZero 2011-08-09 12:49:35)

I think everyone should get a free stat reset. o_o

Also, I dont think str does hull as it is now. I've not gotten any increased hull from raising str.

RoZ-Republic of Zeon now recruiting! Speak with one of our members to join!
Characters:  Jinx-T2 LvL90 Smug; Kenji-T0 LvL90 Engi; Nappa-T0 LvL36 Merc

smeg wrote:

I thought STR increases crit chance/and or offense? Every smuggler and his dog stacked STR for added crit chance/and or offense

I have extensively tested all stats, I'm afraid STR does pretty much jack at the moment. sad

Mauddib wrote:

DEX - "Reduces damage from mobs." - I dont remember if I tested this in beta or 2.0 but increased defense primarily reduced the chance to be hit, not damage taken. I can't find my original testing notes but if it reduced damage taken it was not a significant amount.

Dex does indeed reduce damage, not 100% sure the eaxact mitgation amount, but all stats were tested one by on by setting them to 100. A realistic amount....... I was quite surprised to find it mitigates as much as it does tbh.

Mauddib wrote:

It's not a great deal, (about 1 extra psi per tick every 4 INT) but psi regen does increase.

Gratned, This may of ALL changed in 2.0, but this is how it was back in the day, and it's how it is now.

I  have yet too look into how stats effect things like rupts,resistance, etc, and I may be able to calcualte str into reducing rupt now that I have recently reworte how interrupt works...... Interrupting a cast, like in 2.0, would require a whole rework on the casting system, since it's cast first then timer, and not, wait on timer, than cast.......This would require a huge amount of work to implement......

Again, I did say many will be dissapointed.

I do have full control over variables, so observing thier effects is quite easy.

Oh wow, really interesting to learn about this and thanks for testing these out Supa.

I remember in the early goings it was also thought that INT slightly raided EXP gain, was that ever true actually? Is that the case now?

So much for my STR points being useful lol.

DeathZero wrote:

Also, I dont think str does hull as it is now. I've not gotten any increased hull from raising str.

It does, I saw have seen a 1 hull increase with ever str that I have raised (yeah, it isn't an impressive amount).

Supanova wrote:
Mauddib wrote:

Dex does indeed reduce damage, not 100% sure the eaxact mitgation amount, but all stats were tested one by on by setting them to 100. A realistic amount....... I was quite surprised to find it mitigates as much as it does tbh.

That is good to hear that it actually has some effectiveness.  Knowing a ratio between defense and supposed SA mitigation would be good.

Supanova wrote:
Mauddib wrote:

It's not a great deal, (about 1 extra psi per tick every 4 INT) but psi regen does increase.

Good to know for the psi classes. I had not seen a psi rgn increase in 2.0 even with having max stats so it might have been removed in 2.0.

Mauddib wrote:
DeathZero wrote:

It does, I saw have seen a 1 hull increase with ever str that I have raised (yeah, it isn't an impressive amount).

I'm afraid it has no effect on hull, I'm not disputing the hull gain, but my tests show STR does nothing to increase hull, even with outrageous amounts of 600 STR....

Mauddib wrote:
Supanova wrote:
Mauddib wrote:

That is good to hear that it actually has some effectiveness.  Knowing a ratio between defense and supposed SA mitigation would be good.

I have tested some item stats such as SA, it does indeed mitigate damage, the same way DEX does.....

Yet to test all "disputed" item effects.....

it would seem Stats do not effect your chance to reduce the mobs resistance, seems to be purely level based......Could implement something in the future.....

Nice with an update on this. I sure was dissapointed to see the uselessness of having taken almost all my skill points in strength >.<

I think strength would be an ideal stat for "tanks" (mercs), and make it increase hull and perhaps dmg reduction (instead of dexterity). At least i think strength, as of now, is pretty useless.

Just my thoughts on this smile

Celestra

Could it be  that rising INT rises only psi max, and the regen increase comes from the increase of the psi itself, coz the regen is percentage based, not point based? Coz if like u said psi max increases by 3 points every int point added, 4 points int add 12 points psi, which would be enough to rise ur regen value, if its percentage based.

UNI
NG 4EVER

16 (edited by Ivvah_ 2011-08-10 03:38:31)

DeathZero wrote:
I think everyone should get a free stat reset. o_o

its kind of a good idea

17 (edited by knoore 2011-08-11 09:24:35)

Or a full reset (complete account), or not reset at all wink.

I did well choosing 10 int 20 str 30 dex with my merc smile smile smile

Indeed i noticed that str did nothing, while it was told to be increasing my hull.
My dex does make a big difference, I made these changes at level 8 and saw a decrease in taken damage and a increase in killing speed smile

18 (edited by kuchervano 2011-08-18 22:10:47)

STR and Life Support together.

Since the stats affect the character, ie ship commander, and not the ship itself, the hull gain for str makes no sense. 
In fact, there is nothing useful that stat can affect.  Now you have some insano-mans that keep putting points into str expecting positive results, like myself.

Also INT was increasing the chances to + weps/armor. Used to have 75 INT before things went insane and you could go up to 200.

Magic  T9  Merc   75
Anka   T9  Engie  75
Spin    T3  Smug  74

About STR , as others said, was increasing HULL and interrupt. Hence tanks using alot of STR to tank bosses, makes sense? Ank was almost full INT ( was a pyro ) so had loads of psi and psi regen, Beast was full STR so had loads of hull and interrupt.

Magic  T9  Merc   75
Anka   T9  Engie  75
Spin    T3  Smug  74

As of 27/10/11 update

The players STR stat will now increase interrupt rate on target.
The players STR stat will also decrease the chance of being interrupted.

Supaz

In agreement with Supa on this from testing long ago...

Also if I recall, SA/999 is the percentage damage reduction from opponent weapons.

does int help engie reps?

I would like to know that one ^_^

Morpheus T0 Eng 75
Swindel     T6 Inf 75

was told in game that int does not effect reps. just thought i would update it here.