1 (edited by Angus 2012-12-28 14:30:37)

Topic: Quests, content, lua...and your help :)

While Supa and Cisco have been pushing forward with the new client, I've been sorting quests. The old quest system sucked and was a pain, I've been working on making a much much much (x3 "much"s eh?) more flexible system.

I've been working on allowing the host to use lua scripts for quests. This means that quests will be able to be quite a lot more advanced, allowing things such as time limits, multiple stages, all persistent across reboots.

We don't have as much time as we'd like, so we're wondering if the community can come up with quest ideas or even put together scripts for it. You guys are screaming for content, this is a way I hope we can get it to you smile

I've put together a draft document detailing the lua functions, and also an example zip file showing a very basic version of the gerenium quest (Fes Rebels did have a use once tongue).

If you do get around to putting together a quest script, or if you're reading the document and think "Hey, I think I a function to do  X" then ask, I can add functionality, nothing is set in stone. If something isn't explained, ask, I will update the document.

So basically, we're looking for elaborate ideas, or if you feel up to it (or trying) an actual script.

Links:
http://hostilespace.co.uk/luadoc/
http://hostilespace.co.uk/luadoc/topics/readme.md.html
http://hostilespace.co.uk/item_gen/

Re: Quests, content, lua...and your help :)

is it possible... on the test server for example, to create several chars sitting in SB and some way of reading script from here or from a custom page, so we can test the script behaviour?

I am quite curious what will happen when I put my thinking hat wink

Lazy_666
The One & Only

Testing scripts...I hadn't thought that through. I'll get back to you

The API could be used as interface for that, or maybe help client, whatever.

Amethyst        T0    Pyr     30
Cisco                T4    Sco    90
Delphi              T1    Eng    21
Neuropath      T0    Tel     10

I have no clue on lua, sorry. Is it going to be the same format for making quests with the new client?

If someone in the know can post a dictionary of the syntax used, I guess people would have more chance of createing content?

I'm OK with graphics and editing, but as far as programing etc, i'm useless tongue

I have no idea of Lua as well, but I am eager to give it a try.

For example all three outposts in the lower part of the SB could be linked to a text field, so editing the text will affect them directly. Or something like HELP or LISA.

Lazy_666
The One & Only

well i wouldnt mind doing a quest that was very hard that gives a reward - like a 5 part quest (like keys) that gets u a random item.... I remember in the old hs one of my favorite places was the random stone for item thing that was like 250k (and mostly not worth it) but lets just say it u do 5 quests it gives u key pt 1-5 and when u get all 5 u can trade for a random item.. I think it would make quests more interesting

Somewhere in the galaxy, a planet is selling 1 Um Dro... big_smile

Lazy_666
The One & Only

Lazy_666 wrote:

that would be cool - like that one

"NEWS:  An Anomaly has been detected in space. All willing Captains are requested to explore the anomaly"

the "anomaly" be a portal to a space boss that randomly moves about space... drops could be of unknown origin and need to be "Identified" new skill. once identified able to be fabbed into new tech/gear.

News: A comet filled with QUANTUM CATALYST has been spotted passing by the Tyvorax system

Basically a moving mineral deposit that is trackable by radar.

Harviousify - Manipulater
Shadey - Pyro

12 (edited by Harvious 2012-11-01 13:51:35)

News: A brood fleet has hyperspaced into the sirrah system. All able captains are needed to repel the attack
All captains will rewarded with (X)

bout 30 or so brood crusaders and a Misstress type Miniboss.
The difficulty (Level) would be determined by the size listed in news.

Armada: 50 level 60 crusaders and Level 80 Misstress type Mini
Large fleet: 40 level 50 crusaders Level 60 Misstress type
Fleet: 30 level 40 crusaders level 50 Praetorian type
Flotilla: 15 level 30 Crusaders level 40 Praetorian type

Shadey - Pyro

Lazy_666 wrote:

News: An auction for a Dire Brood Launcher is being held on carthage

Shadey - Pyro

News: A new Alloy has been discovered on Okda Prime
News: The alloy is known to add up to 30 Ship Armor to a system.

Mining Quest, Basically you mine the planet and get the System attribute

Shadey - Pyro

The princess of Nashira has been kidnapped. The king of Nashira is offering a RiKra (yeah baby) to any willing captains.
There is a Monster (A spider lvl 100) near Hadar. You have to be grouped with at least 3 different classes. You have to defeat it without dyeing. (tities and drones are counted as casualties as well)

Once defeated (with normal alien drop) it will drop a keys (one for each person in the grp) for a base in Sulafat (or random planet)
You can't hyperspace, because the key drops. Selfdestruct is also not an option as it will cause the quest to fail (one person died)

The base in Sulafat is full of high lvl-no-experience-mobs (lvl 70-80) and a silencer (or protector) dropping the keys for the summer house of the spider. And of course as you have guessed the summer house is located near Markab. Again not teleporting... pure navigation.

The summer house contains one boss (lvl 110-120) and drops a "princess" which shall be delivered back to Nashira. smile

As I can see this quest will take at least 1-3 hours, so the stone obtained should be quite valuable.

You can make the planet sell all stones, but you can buy only one...

Lazy_666
The One & Only

As you can see, there are lots of people willing to participate... Please think abut us. smile
Also... include ALL possible fabbing materials in the test server. Decrease the price, so it is affordable and everyone can test.

Lazy_666
The One & Only

smile

I originally only thought of single player oriented quests, however I'm updating the system to handle group and world quests such as some of the suggestions.

It's coming along, expect something soon.

"0" not "o" !!!

Single person quests are much more simple and believe me, once someone script my quest... the rest will be piece of cake. smile

Lazy_666
The One & Only

Lazy_666 wrote:

As you can see, there are lots of people willing to participate... Please think abut us. smile
Also... include ALL possible fabbing materials in the test server. Decrease the price, so it is affordable and everyone can test.

Posting a chunk of text for a quest doesn't exactly seem like the sort of help which was requested at the start of this post.

If people want to help, the example quest is easy enough to modify. If you are wanting to help, you will need to understand the basics of the lua language.

We can provide ideas, (which we did) and we can even create own quests, which is the main reason for my suggestion. Of course it is not a problem to post ideas here, but it will require some time from the game developers to build the quests we outlined. So... I just want to have the script tools in my hand, so I can see how it will behave. big_smile

Lazy_666
The One & Only

The idea behind LUA is that you can write quests by ya own ^^ Maybe i should write some quest to have examples for ppls they dont know how to start writing them

Amethyst        T0    Pyr     30
Cisco                T4    Sco    90
Delphi              T1    Eng    21
Neuropath      T0    Tel     10

Angus wrote:

smile

I originally only thought of single player oriented quests, however I'm updating the system to handle group and world quests such as some of the suggestions.

It's coming along, expect something soon.

I look forward to reading your improved API. Did you look into utilising callbacks as well?

I did look into callbacks, that's what is taking the time, trying to get it working. What I may have to do is finish my updates without callbacks, then look at implementing those in the next update.

Pretty pretty please. big_smile

Lazy_666
The One & Only