Topic: 3.0 Client

As many of you may know, We have been talking about making a new client.

We have used some very bad clients in the past. We did start patching the serversoft but the fight it put up and the time required to upgrade the networking, and then deal with all the new issues the 2.0 client had would of been a wasted journey. So we threw together a new host that would mimic the original and, therefore  be able to communicate with the 2.0 client.

Thing is, as great as that was, the software simply wasn't built for today's machines in mind and it is still unstable on many machines.  Granted, the stability compared to our first client release is a lot better, it simply isn't good enough.

Let me explain a bit first.  A lot of the attraction to HS is the retro-indie feel it has.  The quirky ships, basic GUI, and we intend to keep as much of this as possible.  Going full 3D, is not only a logistical nightmare for such a small development team, but we feel HS would simply loose it's appeal.  Client stability, and "eye candy" is the goal.  With a 3D engine behind us, lighting, particles, explosions, weapon fire, customizable GUI skins. it will also support a physics engine....  I dunno about you guys but seeing your weapons cause gaping holes in your enemies hull and watching the debris bounce off your own hull, has quite an appeal....

So, Angus has been hard at work getting to grips with the 3D engine.  Having only spent a matter of days on it, he has already manged to get the new client communicating with the host, and basic ship movement is already in place.  That alone is quite a huge step.

A new chapter is forming, and with it, some decisions will need to be made......

We will own both the client and host, outright.  This also means we can push forward with advertising.  However, due to a past incident, we will not be legally allowed to carry on with the Hostilespace name or any of the Interadventure  property.  This means we will have to rename Hostilespace, and sadly leave it to rest.  No this does not mean a wipe tongue.  Some suggestions of name would be nice wink.

Re: 3.0 Client

How I originally found HS was looking for a space flight and trading game similar to Elite and believe it or not, HS came up.

So to me the brief is to find:
Something that shows it is a space combat game
Something with a cool acronym maybe
Something short enough for someone to type it into a browser
Something that the .com is not already taken

SPURNE (Space Privateer Universe: Red Nexus Elite)

Anything like that... Pick a 5 or 6 letter available domain that you think sounds fitting and let us try to come up with an acronym definition tongue

3 (edited by Rowspan 2012-06-08 16:17:54)

not sure of the legal implications maybe you could check up on it but what about HS being the secondary title , E.g.  Armada Empire: Hostile Space

thats way it would still return our game in searches for HS smile

Rowspan T9 lvl 75    Biggles T0 lvl 65
Colspan T5 lvl 12
Welder T0 lvl 75
Loyal To The Royal!

4 (edited by Harvious 2012-06-11 18:36:57)

New Name: Space Hostile or Friendly space!
kidding....

Galactic space: Hostile encounters or GS for short.

P.S. will the new client...
A. Support up and down movement.
B. Force us to rename EVERYTHING in game or just the Title

Harviousify - Manipulater
Shadey - Pyro

You mean real 3d movement - as in Z movement as well as XY? No, we're trying to emulate the current look and feel of HS in a new 3d environment - you have a top-down view of everything. We'll get it looking good! There's a long list of things left to do, but it's getting there slowly.

About renaming stuff, we want to disconnect ourselves from InterAdventure IP completely - this means renaming anything and replacing EVERYTHING that was originally created by InterAdventure. Whether that means renaming mobs, using similar designs for maps etc, I'm not sure yet - it's something we'll need to clarify.
Harv and Row, liking those names and naming style smile

Angus wrote:

Harv and Row, liking those names and naming style smile

(in other words, moth shut up your idea is crap tongue lol)

Are you wanting models that look the same as current ships or all ships to be new then?

Are you going to just rename things in a similar fasion? Brood becomes Hive, Sorrow becomes Misery etc? Many things used to be a dev's name backwards... "Cloak of sugna" anyone? tongue

As Angus stated, all of Interadventures' Intellectual property we are not allowed to use.  This basically means the client and any images that they have claim to.  I am aware that some of the tiles were obtained via 3rd parties and believe a separate license governs these.  And if we wanted to get picky, I'm not 100% sure IA should of been using them for profit in the first place.

What this basically means, is that  all names of items/objects in the game are safe,  The client and the name Hostilespace is not smile

I agree with supa, it costs a lot of money to copyright words (and sentences) and im very sure IA did not had the money to copyright tons of words. The same rule counts for numbers.

Name suggestion: "Distant Galaxies: Hostile Space"

Amethyst        T0    Pyr     30
Cisco                T4    Sco    90
Delphi              T1    Eng    21
Neuropath      T0    Tel     10

Hostile Space Nova or Hostile Nova Space.

"Beyond Hostile Space"
                                                          "In the shadow of the Brood"
                                                                   "An Empire will fall"

Pheonix  : Hostile Space

Maybe, much much much later on we can make an update that provides a POV immersion for show... if i could get the hang of it i'd even help out with what i can.

Characters
Kenpachi T6: Pyro, Yoruichi T0: Merc, Renji: T0 Smug, Zangetsu: T1 Engi, Ichigo: T0 Path, Kisuke: T0 TKR Unohana: T0 Engi, Alchemyst: T0 Merc
http://TRGforum.webs.com

I've got a couple 3d rendering modeling programs on my old clunker. if you guys need i can make renderings of the current ships and some of the to be implemented ships and get them made in a pseudo 3d.

Characters
Kenpachi T6: Pyro, Yoruichi T0: Merc, Renji: T0 Smug, Zangetsu: T1 Engi, Ichigo: T0 Path, Kisuke: T0 TKR Unohana: T0 Engi, Alchemyst: T0 Merc
http://TRGforum.webs.com