Topic: Beta of the new patching system

We plan to replace the Updater with a new patching system, called HSRPatcher. I have now finished the first working beta version. The difference now is that the new patching system allows per-file-patching, this means instead downloading version zip files, it now compares each file/folder of the client with a server patch list. Through that the updating process only downloads stuff that really needs to be downloaded. Another effect is that we have detailed control how all the files and folders are handled on client side, f.e. we can now delete unused files on your local installation.

This works similar how the original Interadenvture Inc. Updater were working, but the difference is that we have much better abilities, f.e. our news system supports modding. To do modding you have to set "allowmodding" option to "1" in Launcher.ini config file. Then it would skip patching files that we allow to mod. This also means when we change the files in a way that they get incompatible, you have to turn "allowmodding" back to "0", to patch your client with compatible files. Then again you can start modding.

Now i have reached the testing phase, i hope some ppls are trying it out, because i could have overseen bugs/issues/illogic.

Test file you need: http://test.cisco211.de/dl.php?HSRPatcher.exe

Examples how and what you can test:

1.  Fresh installation...
- Create a test folder on desktop and place HSRPatcher.exe in it.
- Launch HSRPatcher.exe in that folder, it should download the entire game without any issues.
- The launcher should start when patching is done, the launcher checks the consistency of the game (and starts the patching in case of inconsitency).
- The game should work

2. Updating a working client that still uses the updater...
- Create a test folder on desktop and copy the contents of the working client directory into that folder
- Launch HSRPatcher.exe in that folder, it should patch the entire game, adding new stuff, removing old stuff.
- The launcher should start when patching is done, the launcher checks the consistency of the game (and starts the patching in case of inconsitency).
- The game should work and all the launcher/game/character settings should still be the same.

3. Modding the game
- Do #1 or #2 to have a test client.
- Set "allowmodding" to "1" in Launcher.ini (Launcher\Launcher.ini).
- Mod your files (atm only Graphics, Sounds and Music can be modded, will add a link to a live updated list of moddable files soon)
- Start Launcher, he shouldnt start to patch because you enabled modding.
- The game should work with your modded files

That are some examples what you can test. If you get any warnings/errors/crashes from testing, feel free to post it here.
You can also post the patch.log that the HSRPatcher is writing when doing the patching.
You are also able to copy the error/warning windows as text, simply click the window title, then press CTRL+C, then you can CTRL+V into the forum post formular.

OK that was all at the moment.

PS: Sorry for my bad english tongue

Amethyst        T0    Pyr     30
Cisco                T4    Sco    90
Delphi              T1    Eng    21
Neuropath      T0    Tel     10

Re: Beta of the new patching system

This works out perfectly, very progressive for the future of HSR.

Purplehaze-Cata-25-T5
Dutch-Smug-90-T1
Bosch-Pyro-90-T1

Sehr geil. Weiter so, Cisco.

Aww damn another building site i just forgot. When im done with launcher integration into client (and it runs well enough) i will port exactly this patcher to have him cross platform. The API for this patcher already supports cross platform operating system separation. So it just a recode smile

Amethyst        T0    Pyr     30
Cisco                T4    Sco    90
Delphi              T1    Eng    21
Neuropath      T0    Tel     10

I tryed the patcher but all i get is empty meta data file error. Help me I havent played in a like a week and Im going nuts.